
Tomorrow I'll be informing the class of the wondrous sport of Ultimate. Many call it Frisbee, some call it lame... but hopefully after tomorrow's presentation, you'll know why it's called Ultimate. This intense, physical activity allows participants a great opportunity to get in shape and connect with a fun-loving group of people. There are so many levels of play; anyone can get involved at any time. From kids on the playground playing a pick-up game all the way up to professional athletes competing for a living- finding enjoyment from Ultimate is easy to work into any skill level. Many sites, such as this one or even this one, offer easy access to leagues around your area- wherever your area may be. Leagues offer players the chance to meet and play against a diverse range of participants and hone their skills, or just have a good time. When the time comes for you to head on out to the game, all you'll need is a disc and some cleats. The short list of required materials opens up the game to multitudes of people with limited resources. A disc runs about $10 and lasts longer than a rant from an old guy at a bus stop (a long time). I'll see you all tomorrow, ready to tell you all about and play some Ultimate!
I thought your presentation was really good. You did a great job at getting my attention. I love playing ultimate frisbee. Its so much fun to play and it is very relaxing. I will say this though, while it is relaxing often times I have noticed myself getting very competitive, but it is still fun to play. Good job.
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed hearing about your presentation. Typically, I think that we only associate sports as the ones in "mainstream society", or the D1 sports we go to around here and we often forget that there are many other athletic activities out there that can be considered a sport. For ultimate frisbee you definitely need to be able to run, have good stamina along with hand-eye coordination. Overall, I really enjoyed the presentation! Great enthusiasm
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your presentation as well. I did not know much about ultimate frisbee before hearing your speech, although I remember playing it a couple of times in my high school gym class. It is an interesting sport, and I like how you can just get a bunch of people together and play. It's easy to pick up on and a sport that anyone can enjoy. I found it interesting that there are no refs, and the players must make the calls. Participants must be really honest while playing! Although many people take interest in sports, I do not think many people know much about this particular game. I like that you picked a topic that many people are not familiar with. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed your presentation. I liked how you put a new spin on the topic. You didn't just tell us how ultimate frisbee works. You told us how much the sport has changed over the year (it's gaining popularity.) I also liked the pictures you selected on your powerpoint. It shows how seriously people take this sport and are willing to put their life out there, to play the sport and win the game.
ReplyDeleteI just found a cool video on ultimate frisbee. Here's the video:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAyEti-_lR8
I thought it was very interesting that players truly have to rely on each other to adhere to the rules while playing the game since there aren't any referees. I think this game definetly promotes sportsmanship and respect for the players.
I really liked the fact that you were so excited about your presentation because it made the presentation so much better. I used to play ultimate when it was in high school because it was a good way to hang out with friends and get some exercise, and it was a lot of fun. It could get pretty violent sometimes but other than it was a fun game. I never knew there were all of those ultimate "terms" that most people would not know about, but then again there are those terms with any sport so it made sense. Ultimate is a sport that requires as much if not more talent than other sports because it is so demanding, and I think that it deserves respect as one. Great Presentation!
ReplyDelete