Monday, November 8, 2010

There is no I in Team!


Most people complain about working in groups. It is just something about the fact that your grade depends on how the other group members perform that annoys people. It is also stressful to coordinate a meeting time among six people, all of whom have really busy schedules. Granted, I do not enjoy any of these aspects very much either but in the end, I do enjoy working in groups. I get a chance to meet new people that I normally would not work with and make a presentation a little more interesting than I usually would make it.

When we first got into our assigned groups, we already had conflicts mainly because we found out that we had different interests; half of the group was interested in the medical field while the other half was interested in the accounting field. However, through a little bit of brainstorming, we were able to come up with a topic that interested everyone: getting into the private health care practices. Everyone thought that this was a great marriage between medicine and money because when you work in a small business, everyone in the office needs to know a little of every aspect.

We all had really busy schedules and so it was really difficult to make time to actually work on this project. In order to solve this problem, we used a piece of technology that we have been talking a lot about in class – Facebook. When we had to come up with the ten questions, we each made up two questions (twelve total) and posted them on a message thread. This way, we would have all the questions in one area and the person in charge of compiling everything would be able to find everything quickly. I think I can speak for everyone in my group that this was really helpful because while we were not meeting face to face, we were still all working together on this project.

Speaking of technology, we also used Google Docs to make our presentation. Because this application is now live feed, we were all able to work on this project together at different places! We split up the work and we each took care of our slide. I thought that this method was really efficient because we were able to contribute to the project when we had time for it. It also saved us a time when we did finally meet up face to face. Since we already saw everyone’s parts of the presentation, our meeting really only lasted about ten minutes and we just went over the order that we wanted to present in.

As for the different roles that each of us played, I do not really think there was a main leader in the group. Since we usually worked individually, everyone ended up with the same about of responsibility. We all contributed to the group and I do not think our project would have been on the same level as it was if we were missing a person.

All in all, this was an enjoyable group project, and it had a lot to do with technology helping us. I can safely say that if we did not have these things, our lives would have been so much more difficult and this project would have been the bane of my existence.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the technology love :) Of course, I would. Well done Amy!

    ReplyDelete