
When this group was assembled we were a little uncertain as to how we would all present on one topic that would relate to each of our specific fields of study. We were a group of future doctors, lawyers, and businessmen. As you can tell, none of these fields come close to sharing the same communication issues, but we found a way to decide on one specific field to direct our focus, which took some time. We were given some time in class to decide what issue we would focus on. After having many ideas thrown on the table, we came to a unanimous decision that we would direct our attention to the field of law. Now that we picked what field we wanted to focus on, we proceeded to narrow down the field by picking the main topic that we present on. We chose to focus on how lawyers communicate with their clients in criminal law. Since, Branden knew the most on the topic, he volunteered to write our required blog post. Having our topic, the group work was able to begin.
Individually, we each had to interview an attorney, but more specifically, an attorney that works in criminal justice. The attorneys we interviewed were all different and they all had different backgrounds, which allowed us to get different stories, as well as different perspectives. All of us asked our attorneys the same questions, but we received many different answers. Some of the questions we decided to ask was, “Does emotion or morals ever get in the way of your work?” and “What barriers do you often face when talking to your clients?” We received a wide range of answers. Some said, “Yes, morals do get in the way and it is often hard to keep your emotions out of this line of work. Especially with some of the stuff we see.” Others said, “ It is hard to keep emotions out of the case, but you have to if you want a fair and unbiased case.” Another thing we noticed in our interviews is that there are common barriers that lawyers face when communicating with their clients. Some of those are language barriers, and clients not feeling comfortable telling what really happened because they are scared that it will affect the case negatively and that their lawyer will not want to represent them.
When we met as a group we all presented the information we received in our interviews, in order to see how we would present our issues. We all were eagerly willing to present our data because we knew that this would make for a better grade and a better presentation for our group’s issue. Chris volunteered to create the PowerPoint for us with each of our slides on there, Stacy and Amanda volunteered to create our class interactive activity, and I, James Hunter, volunteered to write our group blog post. Our group faced no real setbacks because we had everyone volunteer and work hard without any complaints that would hinder us from our work.
Overall, our group worked well together. It was interesting to see what we could come to agree on because we all had different fields of study, but we managed to agree on everything. It was a very rewarding experience.
We did a GREAT job !! Through all the struggles, we pulled it together and presented a good speech. Hopefully next time we would just be in groups that we have more stuff in common, to make it easier. BUT OVERALL I ENJOYED WORKING WITH THE PEOPLE I WORKED WITH.
ReplyDeleteI thought you guys did a great job! It was very interactive, and I especially enjoyed the interviews at the end. Since I worked for a defense attorney for three years, I can relate to many of the communication problems you discussed today. It was definitely difficult to get information from some of the clients. The attorney often had to remind them that they needed to be honest with him in order to receive a favorable outcome. I also had issues communicating with them. Many times, they would not answer my questions, even after I told them I was authorized to receive certain information. They simply would insist that they needed to discuss it with the attorney only. I can understand why he was so stressed out when dealing with the cases of these particular clients!
ReplyDeletei really enjoyed your presentation as well. You brought up communication issues that I wouldn't have thought of off the top of my head, but once they were explained they made complete sense. The interviews were a great idea and really made the communication problems come to life. good work!!
ReplyDeleteI like how you guys were able to come together and compromise on a topic since you were all interested in different things. I think that is an important part of group work; being able to work together and get what you need done even if it is not what your individually had planned on. I also really enjoyed the skits at the end of your presentation.
ReplyDeleteYou guys did a really good job! i loved the skit. It was so funny, but also very believable and realistic.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I definitely appreciate how well you compromised and came together to arrive at the topic of your presentation. Even though you doubted whether or not you were prepared on the day of your presentation, you either rallied or... how I prefer to see it... you were absolutely prepared and knowledgeable about your topic even though difficulties wit group logistics led you to think that you may have not been.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your presentation and I enjoyed seeing the resulting presentation of a group that had to -- at first -- overcome difficulties in terms of having different viewpoints and interests.
The title of your post is great, by the way!
PS: don't forget to include hyperlinks in your posts!
Another note, every member of the group has to write a brief group reflection blog post. Just FYI.