Sunday, November 7, 2010

Which Way Do I Go?!? Which Way Do I Go?!?

Fun Fact: Kevin was the 50 millionth fan to go to a game at Oriole Park at Camden Yards and won $10,000 (which he used to pay for law school) and Orioles season tickets for 5 years. Don't believe me? Heres a picture:


For my interview I had the privilege of interviewing Kevin Gracie. Kevin offered a unique perspective, different from the other lawyers my group members interviewed because Kevin is fresh out of law school and is still deciding which path he ultimately wants to take. One of the paths he is considering is that of corporate law. The main reason I chose to interview Kevin was because of the fact that he was still only considering corporate law and I thought that as undergraduate college students the class could relate to him well.

I've known Kevin for about 4 or 5 years now, he is one of my cousins best friends and I see him fairly often. Kevin graduated from the University of Baltimore with a law degree and recently passed the bar on his second attempt. Like I said earlier, Kevin is in the infancy of his career as a lawyer and while that may seem like a negative when it comes to an interview, he actually had a fresh perspective that a veteran, experienced lawyer may no longer have. Kevin is a really fun guy and I always have a good time when he is around so not only was my interview informative but he made it pretty fun as well.

My interview started with some short, simple, direct questions and then eventually moved on to more open questions where Kevin allowed his unique perspective and personality to come out. The most important question I asked was very open and Kevin had much to say. I asked him, "If you were to choice corporate law as your eventual career path, what would make you choose that? What do you like most about it?" I thought this was a great question because unlike a well-established corporate lawyer who might not be able to look at his own profession objectively, Kevin is still able to do that. Some of the key reasons Kevin gave were that he could see himself becoming burnt out with criminal law and the constant emotional toll it brings. He said corporate law appeals to him because he's always had an interest in business as well. When he was choosing a major as an undergrad he said he chose between law and business.

My interview with Kevin was limited in some ways because it was done over the phone. So certain non-verbals like body language, posture, etc. weren't a factor. Thats not to say that the interview was bland and devoid of communication aspects. Kevin and I changed the pitch and tone of our voice, used slang, emotive language, rhetorical questions, etc.

All in all, I learned a great deal about corporate law from Kevin and he was able to answer my questions very honestly because we already knew each other. That comfortability made for what I consider to be a very good, informative, and enjoyable interview.

Here is link with alot of good resources for anyone interested in corporate/business law:

1 comment:

  1. Gavin, interesting angle -- interviewing someone who is considering the specific career path your group presented about. A good reflection too, just remember to label your post and to embed those hyperlinks within the post rather than list them at the end.

    ReplyDelete