The technology aspect completely caught me off guard. I did not like that I had to get a Gmail account to be able to turn in assignments. I had planned on getting an account I just did not want to get on for a class. I also did not like how everything was turned in electronically through the blog. There was no way to be certain the assignment was received. This only became an issue when grades were starting to be processed. It was clear that because they showed up on the blog did not mean they had been read or seen. I at first enjoyed having a facebook group to ask asks and read other people’s questions but as time went on I found the facebook group the other way to reach Andi.
It was also unfortunate that class cancellations were sent through the group. I do not have a smart phone and do not receive facebook notifications on my phone nor do I check facebook in the morning before class. Many times that class was cancelled, I did not find out until I had reached the classroom or until someone texted me and informed me. I do check my email and would have found it easier for me if an email was sent out instead of a facebook post. Technology usually makes assignments and classes easier but I think too much technology harmed the learning process.
Another aspect I found that was done poorly was the multiple absences and cancelled class periods. This is obviously something that could not be helped or controlled. Without these unexpected syllabus changes, I feel it compacted the class into few days. It would have been nice to have more time on some subjects. It would have also been nice to have more discussion time about projects such as the group project, that many of us were confused about it. It is just unfortunate our class got cut short due to so many unexpected cancellations.
My favorite part was all of the public speaking opportunities we received. Coming into this class, I was not good or very comfortable with public speaking. I found this course to help ease my nerves and has given me tips to deliver a interesting and well written speech. I do not find public speaking as terrible any more. This course has helped with my confidence level as well. Not only did I learn public speaking skills, I learned interview skills too.
In addition, I learned a great deal of information dealing including verbal and non verbal communication. I believe this has made me a better communicator and a better listener. I will take the skills I have learned throughout this semester and apply them to my school and professional life. This class was a success and I am happy I had the opportunity to be a part of it.

No comments:
Post a Comment