Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It’s Almost Over!


This semester has definitely been one to adjust to. Because this is my first year of college I was going through adjustments of classes, living on campus, and even different ways of studying. This communication class taught me how to make good speeches and how and why people communicate the way they do. I signed up for this class because it was simply going to contribute to my major requirements. Now that this semester is over I’m glad I took it even if I decide to change my major to something that does not require communications.

When the semester first began I had a fear of public speaking. Speaking in front of an audience is something that many people are afraid of, but it is also something that many people have to do whether it’s for a political rally or at a wedding recital, speaking in front of a large amount of people, or even a small amount of people sometimes, is not something that many people are fond of. I wanted to show a funny a link of an example of stage fright http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1zY38p0Lpw. Most of us can probably relate to the poor kid. I know I can. My fear of public speaking is what made me a bit apprehensive about taking this class. I can’t say that I was completely comfortable with our informative speech, but I can say that I was glad I did it. I’m not really sure if it was because I was comfortable with the people in the class or if it was because I learned to forget about my feelings and focus on the topic, but I felt a lot more comfortable and confident about public speaking by the time our persuasive speech came up. One thing that I learned is how present a speech that is actually entertaining enough. In my philosophy class we were talking about the morality of pornography. Pornography is not usually a topic people speak about in a classroom so I decided to take a chance. After discussing pornography for a while and knowing my background knowledge I was able to present a speech that caught the attention of the class as well a speech that I felt confident to talk about. Ultimately this communications class taught me that if you know about the topic, and feel confident towards it, talk about it.

Unlike my other classes, this communication class was unique because of its cyber dependency. I found it pretty convenient that most of our assignments, despite our speeches, were due as blogs. That way I could type up my assignment and post it right away. This class was definitely different from what I was use to in high school and it was a great way to adjust to my new life as a college student. I would have liked to have had more little speeches in order to improve my presentation of speeches. However overall I believe this class was helpful for future classes and for future speeches.

Good Luck on Finals and Happy Holidays Everyone! J

No comments:

Post a Comment