
Ernesto Gluecksmann works for a company called Infamia. Specifically, he works with client relations and finding new business for this company, which is why he feels that networking and relationships are so important in the business world. Ernesto even argues that hanging out with competition can be a good thing! To Ernesto, every interaction with people in the workforce should be considered an interview, but he insists that interviews get easier with time and practice. In his presentation, he included some advice for us in his presentation as well. He stressed that you don't want to come off needy and that you need to offer something. One of the more interesting "tricks of the trade" that works for Ernesto is to not feel the need to fill in every silence with words because often that will force another person to talk. This, I thought, was the most insightful part of his presentation. So often we feel awkward during silence and hurry to fill it in with words, but Ernesto insists that the other person will talk if you look as if you're waiting for them to say more.
Ernesto's presentation was most interesting because it gave much different insight than those in our parents generation might. Nowadays, the internet and social media do play a huge part in the interviewing and hiring process, whereas when our parents were looking for jobs internet was basically nonexistent. I was fascinated by how "Linkedin" works because I had heard of it, but was unsure as to what it was exactly. Most of all, Ernesto was an accessible, genuine speaker. He encouraged us to follow him on twitter and even said he would let some of his professional colleagues know that one of his "friends" from Maryland would be at an event if we wanted him to. Ernesto's genuine passion for his work and for social media is contagious.
Wonderful post Alison! So glad you enjoyed Ernesto's presentation and you felt it was not only relevant, but approachable and easy to relate to.
ReplyDeleteTwo notes, make sure you label posts appropriately and that you use creative titles on your posts. Thank you!
Wow! Thank you Alison. Yeah, I also like the tricks of the trade part of my presentation best. A little awkward moment here or there never hurt anybody and it's amazing how much other people will fill in the silence if you just sit quietly nodding. So glad that you enjoyed it and I was able to give you a new perspective and tools to apply to your career efforts.
ReplyDelete-Ernesto
Very well done! I liked how you talked about ONE specific point of his presentation. Because it would be so much easier for a complete stranger to get the main picture of Ernesto presentation. I guess we just all enjoyed Ernesto coming in and giving us more than just advice:)
ReplyDeleteI also like that you just highlighted one aspect of his presentation. I found it very interesting that he said not to feel the need to talk every time there was a moment of silence because it will get others to talk more. I feel that his advice could help a person going into any field, not just business.
ReplyDelete