
Ernesto Gluecksmann is proud member of the Infamia workforce. Infamia is a website that provides technology consulting services to their clients so that their clients can get their productions up and running. As a part of the Infamia workforce, Ernesto is in charge of business development and managing client relationships, which makes sense due to his presentation.
Ernesto spoke to us on the fundamentals of building new relationships, in order to get into the working world and stay there. Within the first few minutes of his presentation he said, “Relationships matter.” and from there he took off with his presentation. Relationships are important in the working world because they can open up new doors to anyone looking for a job. He stressed that we must go out and build new relationships because those relationships will essentially be like interviews for us and whoever we are speaking to. By making new relationships we are letting others know that we are outgoing and not afraid to communicate. Ernesto says that one of the best ways to build new relationships is to make relationships through someone you know, which is important because the person you know can put in a good word for you.
After speaking on making relationships, Ernesto quickly focused on interviewing. Interviewing goes on all of the time. People are able to see what type of person we are from our LinkedIn profiles, Facebook, twitter, and nearly any networking site we associate ourselves with. Using these sites allows employers to see if a face-to-face interview is necessary based on what they see. I think an interesting thing that Ernesto did was tell us how helpful these websites can be in helping us with the interview process. Most people try to scare you by saying that these sites will be used against you, which most certainly they could, but he did not feel it was important to bring up the negative.
Ernesto gave good insight and tricks on what to do, in order to build relationships and how to interview. Overall, this was a great presentation. Thank You for coming in and sharing your experience with us.
Nice Visual! Thats what I took most from Ernesto presentation, the whole "relationship matters". I never really thought about in that way, which seems so silly when my whole major envolves with that concept. Crazy. He was very helpful, and beyond that he has had the best presentation of all. He had my attention the whole time seriously. And I tend to zoom out after 15 minutes. I dont have a twitter but after him, I might just NEED to go make one.
ReplyDeleteI liked how Ernesto spoke about all the different types of social networks that exist, and how there are different purposes for each. He said it is ok to have pictures of you with your friends and out partying on your Facebook, yet to be professional on LinkedIn as it is more for making contacts in the professional world. I liked how he brought this up, because some social networking is just for fun, while others are used for business.
ReplyDeleteThis was one of my favorite guest speakers so far. I never really thought how social media could be so useful in getting jobs, getting your name out there and networking. I have already started looking in to Linkedin, twitter and other media tools that he discussed and I most likely will finally make the transition! He also really got me really interested in social media and I'm curious to see how much more it can grow in the future.
ReplyDelete"Most people try to scare you by saying that these sites will be used against you, which most certainly they could, but he did not feel it was important to bring up the negative."
ReplyDeleteGreat quote from your post. Really enjoyed your reflection!
Ernesto came in with perfect timing, to share tips for your upcoming interviews. I'm very glad you all found his presentation relevant and that it resonated so well!
Wow. Thanks everyone! I'm glad I could shed some light on this whole "social media" stuff and keep you guys awake so early in the AM at the same. Thanks for having me. I love talking about this stuff so if you guys have any questions, you know where to find me.
ReplyDelete@James thanks for the great summary and your thoughts on my presentation. It is important to cultivate a positive online presence as well as be careful not to put too much personal stuff online. A good rule of thumb is to basically not put anything you wouldn't want your parents to see... because well, they just may. Of course, I've broken that rule a few times myself. Sorry about that mom!
@Staci I'm glad I was able to help ya stay awake. Are you a communications major? If so, consider yourself lucky, because I think it's a really exciting time right now to be a communications major. And if you think about it, every degree out there could benefit from taking some basics in communications.
@Holly Yep. I tend to keep my close friends & close contacts on Facebook where I share more personal stuff. I also use Facebook's group privacy settings and create groups that are "business" "family" "close friends" and I have settings adjusted specifically to them. Linkedin & Twitter is for business and establishing new contacts that could lead to business & friendships.
@YoungGlobalMinds Thanks! I think the world is changing because of social media is making us all more connected, more aware of each other and what's possible.
-Ernesto
I have a question for anyone to answer. I don't know much about PR but other than what Ernesto has told us, I'm curious to know how social media has been beneficial to anyone else? Any particular instances?
ReplyDeleteI also really enjoyed Ernesto's speech. Just last year, I was able to get in contact with an old friend via Facebook. We lost contact about 4 years ago after she moved to Hawaii. She was supposed to have come back to Maryland a year ago, but ended up staying in Hawaii.
ReplyDelete