I liked how you tried to bring your cousin into the conversation, like you said you were engaging the audience which makes them keep the attention on you. Try not to say when you're doing something. For example, saying when you'll start and saying you're engaging the audience. I like how you tied in a mini story about your family and how you ate that certain type of food with them. All in all, good job!
This technique of recording on-the-spot speeches is awesome practice. Very creative!
I felt comfortable with your speech most when you were telling stories about your family and how Greyo (I think?) is not just a food but a memory. I connected with that and paid special attention because it seemed genuine. Incorporating relevant personal stories allows the audience to see that you are a real person, not just some autonomous speech-giving robot.
You had solid topics to talk about- memories of the food, what it tastes like, other foods to pair it with- but the lack of transitions made each new topic feel choppy. Each point was very related so think of some way to smooth the connection.
You occasionally seemed to forget what you wanted to talk about next, which gave way to the UMM's and SO's- just a few times. In that minute that you have to prepare, think about the order of your talking points so you know what comes next.
Posting this video to the blog shows originality. Such a courageous act deserves much praise! Thanks for letting us see you work.
I really liked the way you broke down the food and explained each part, because since it's not a common food, most people, including myself, would have otherwise had no idea what it was.
Before you started explaining the food you said you really liked it, and then after you were done describing it, you repeated that you really liked it. Given that the topic of your speech was about your favorite food, I don't think it is really necessary to reiterate the fact that you like it.
Danielle, this is SO GREAT. I'm extremely proud and impressed with your post.
In terms of feedback, I want to echo some of the things that Aaron said as well as what Holly pointed out.
In addition to that...
Your "umm" "Sooo yeah" and "basically" will go away when the speech is less impromptu and more planned. Practice will make perfect.
Also, at the beginning, you were asked what your favorite food was and you described the first one and then talked about sushi. Stick with the *one* and create a SOLID speech around that. It was as though you ran out of things to say about the first food so you started talking about another food that you liked. Stick with one and if you feel you have said enough, feel free to conclude rather than go into another speech.
Again, AWESOME job. My rule of thumb is to try to get as much practice as possible in the classroom and to give you guys outlets where you can share and discuss (the blog, the Facebook group, etc) but this give me a great idea for something I can next semester that will help students immensely in terms of practicing speaking in front of an audience. And it's something that is not too burdensome, bur rather fun and -- most importantly -- very valuable.
Hey Danielle,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you tried to bring your cousin into the conversation, like you said you were engaging the audience which makes them keep the attention on you. Try not to say when you're doing something. For example, saying when you'll start and saying you're engaging the audience. I like how you tied in a mini story about your family and how you ate that certain type of food with them. All in all, good job!
Danielle,
ReplyDeleteThis technique of recording on-the-spot speeches is awesome practice. Very creative!
I felt comfortable with your speech most when you were telling stories about your family and how Greyo (I think?) is not just a food but a memory. I connected with that and paid special attention because it seemed genuine. Incorporating relevant personal stories allows the audience to see that you are a real person, not just some autonomous speech-giving robot.
You had solid topics to talk about- memories of the food, what it tastes like, other foods to pair it with- but the lack of transitions made each new topic feel choppy. Each point was very related so think of some way to smooth the connection.
You occasionally seemed to forget what you wanted to talk about next, which gave way to the UMM's and SO's- just a few times. In that minute that you have to prepare, think about the order of your talking points so you know what comes next.
Posting this video to the blog shows originality. Such a courageous act deserves much praise! Thanks for letting us see you work.
I really liked the way you broke down the food and explained each part, because since it's not a common food, most people, including myself, would have otherwise had no idea what it was.
ReplyDeleteBefore you started explaining the food you said you really liked it, and then after you were done describing it, you repeated that you really liked it. Given that the topic of your speech was about your favorite food, I don't think it is really necessary to reiterate the fact that you like it.
Danielle, this is SO GREAT. I'm extremely proud and impressed with your post.
ReplyDeleteIn terms of feedback, I want to echo some of the things that Aaron said as well as what Holly pointed out.
In addition to that...
Your "umm" "Sooo yeah" and "basically" will go away when the speech is less impromptu and more planned. Practice will make perfect.
Also, at the beginning, you were asked what your favorite food was and you described the first one and then talked about sushi. Stick with the *one* and create a SOLID speech around that. It was as though you ran out of things to say about the first food so you started talking about another food that you liked. Stick with one and if you feel you have said enough, feel free to conclude rather than go into another speech.
Again, AWESOME job. My rule of thumb is to try to get as much practice as possible in the classroom and to give you guys outlets where you can share and discuss (the blog, the Facebook group, etc) but this give me a great idea for something I can next semester that will help students immensely in terms of practicing speaking in front of an audience. And it's something that is not too burdensome, bur rather fun and -- most importantly -- very valuable.