How many of you have really thought about something a doctor, teacher, or even your parent told you to do before you actually did it? Most people realize that whoever is telling him or her to do something is somebody of authority. For a person obeying someone in authority, what does it take to say no? And for those who are in authority, how far can you push someone before they say no?
In my speech, I’ll discuss the Milgram experiment, which was an experiment that was designed to test the effects of authority on obedience. This experiment was done after the Holocaust because of Adolf Eichmann, who said that he ordered the deaths of millions of Jews simply because he was told to. Stanley Milgram, was interested in testing how far an individual will go before they decide to stop.
Ultimately, I’ll be trying to get you all thinking about what someone says before you do it. The idea of obedience is very interesting to me, and I hope you'll be interested in it as well.
I had to read the Obedience to Authority for my government class this semester and found it really interesting. This is a great topic!
ReplyDeleteThanks Laura!
ReplyDeleteI really liked your speech! I learned about the Millgram experiment for high school debate.
ReplyDelete