Sunday, November 28, 2010

I WON! I WON!

I am correcting question number five, which reads:

Imagine you've won the lottery and you're at a loss for words. All you can do is jump up and down and shout, "Yes!" How are your verbal and nonverbal communication behaviors related?


A. Complementing


B. Accenting


C. Substituting


D. Conflicting

Complementing, the answer I chose, is when a nonverbal message accompanies the verbal message - such as saying yes and nodding to indicate 'yes' at the same time. Accenting, the correct answer, is when the nonverbal message stresses the verbal message - such as saying yes and jumping up and down to enhance the 'yes.' Substituting would have been if the nonverbal message replaced the verbal message - such as nodding instead of saying anything. Conflicting would have been if the verbal and nonverbal messages are in contrast to one another - like saying 'yes,' but having body language that indicated no. To see some accenting messages, here's a woman winning the Wheel of Fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment